Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Some good news...

Miss Ann Dale has arrived here in Mississippi, and she is WONDERFUL. I'm including a picture of the entire sampler (out of its frame) and a close-up of the bottom section for your appreciating (drooling) purposes.

I hadn't realized the majority of the sampler is stitched in very, very fine wool thread. The count of the linen is indeed about a 50-count, and parts of it are stitched in silk. I am also pleased at the colors and the condition of the sampler. It almost looks like it's just been in a drawer somewhere, because there is very little damage/loss. AND there is a pale teal blue worked in here and there, which with beiges/mucky greens/cherry reds just KNOCKS ME OUT! This one is going to be fun to stitch.

I am going to release this design THREE ways! (AND NO! IT IS NOT DONE YET! I JUST GOT IT THIS AFTERNOON -- SHEESH!) :)

The entire sampler will be graphed as is. It is a large piece, so it will be quite an accomplishment to finish. I already have a waiting list of stitchers who want this graph.

I will also be charting/stitching the bottom third of the sampler (with the strawberry border wrapped 'round the top.) This makes a nice complete-looking sampler for those with less-crazy stitching compulsions. It will still be pretty big.

And I will be making a booklet of 13 of the flower urns to use as ornaments, small accoutrements, gifties, etc.

In other news, I JUST bought a sampler today on ebay.co.uk about an hour ago. I do ding around a little looking for such things now and again, and found Eleanor Hawkesford's wonderful sampler from 1833 this weekend. Bidding ended this afternoon. She was ten. I am including a picture of this one, too. I am thinking it will make a WONDERFUL birth sampler or sampler for a child's room. But it would also look nice in your stitching area, too. I love the faded golds/beiges. The picture is only as good as I could get directly off the internet. I will post a better picture when I receive this one. It looks to be in really good shape, and I only paid about $300 for it. ;) What-ta-steal. Eleanor will also have a good home (along with a couple of Anne's, a Sarah, a Jane, a young French girl and some Spanish lady!) (tee hee) My collection is growing...

You better get to stitching Ann Grant, because Ann Dale won't be far behind.

27 comments:

Giovanna said...

Oh my, what gorgeous samplers! Especially Ann Dale. It's so good of you to chart these for us sampler-hungry stitchers - what a great way to preserve the memory of these girls.

SharoninStitches said...

Stunning!!! Please may I be added to the list of those wishing to purchase Ann Dale in all her glory! Many thanks! Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I'm holding out for Ms.Hawkesford's, what lovely floral swag motifs!

woolwoman said...

Love them both - you are one lucky gal to have nabbed these beauties. Your adoring fans are awaiting! Melody

Anonymous said...

love them both! thank you for the preview :)

Wakana

Bhooma said...

What a gorgeous sampler! Add ke to the list of sitchers waiting to stitch this. Can't wait for its release.

Margaret said...

Oh lordie, I'm in trouble. lol! Ann Grant is waiting for me -- but I have to finish Jenny's Creation Sampler first! Love that birth sampler too!

Elizabeth said...

There must be something about Anns and their wonderful pieces and beautiful colors. Just having started on Ann Grant, I am eagerly awaiting the little book of flowers to use on smaller pieces. You both are so very talented!

Jen said...

Congrats on the newest additions!!! Beautiful!

krayolakris said...

Compulsions? haha what compulsions!

Diana said...

Ann Dale is so pretty! Glad to hear you are charting it 3 ways.

Linen Stitcher said...

Well, Theresa, I must say that you do have wonderful taste in samplers! Love Ann Dale's sampler and will look forward to the book of flower urns. The Eleanor Hawkesford sampler is lovely as well.

P.S. I just bought "A Sampling by Ann" last week. Thanks for offering the smaller patterns that include motifs from the large samplers.

Bine said...

I absolutely love Anne Dale! She is a stunning beauty! You can be sure that I will be in line to purchase the chart.
Congratulations on winning the ebay auction for Eleanor, she is so pretty too.

Jacqueline Korteland Boller said...

Love, love, love the samplers!!!

Zlata said...

What a beauty! I am in delighting! I'd be happy to stitch all sampler entirely! Let it's big, but beautiful! Wonderful complement to the collection.

Anonymous said...

Ann Dale is a gorgeous sampler. I remembered reading that she was 680 stitches long so I was happy to read that you are charting the lower third for those of us who would hyperventilate at the thought of stitching something so huge. I also like that you are charting the urns separately. So nice to think I could stitch parts of this beauty without stitching the entire piece. Hugs - kelley

PamE said...

Add me to the list of all 3 Ann Dales! It't just beautiful!

GingerCat said...

This piece will be beautiful! I cannot wait to see your reproduction of it. Like so many other fans, I just might have to stitch it!

Annie Beez said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! I thought Ann Grant was incredibly beautiful, but Ann Dale is stunning!! And your newest aquisition is SOOOO pretty! How wonderful that you are doing this!
Is Ann Dale all cross stitch?

Theresa said...

Ann Dale is mostly cross stitch. The verses at the top are mostly stitched over-one, and there is some satin stitch and algerian eye. But all of that COULD be cross stitched for those who don't like specialty stitches.

If anyone wants to get on the waiting list for graphs, you have to contact me like placing an order -- I don't take orders off of the blog, just fyi. :)

T

Kielrain said...

Oh my. Ann Dale is a beauty.

Meriem said...

Le Ann Dale est une merveille.
Je suis impatiente de pouvoir le broder.
Finissez le vite ;-))

Lynn said...

I had no idea there were still so many wonderful samplers to be found. Ann Dale will be a beauty to stitch!

NIKY said...

Gorgeous!!!I remember when you showed me the picture in Nashville, the dream comes true!!

Eszter/SubRosa said...

WONDERFUL!

Couson said...

I love the first one & I prefer to wait it!Béa

Anonymous said...

I have been admiring the Ann Dale sampler for awhile now but I have some reservations (besides the size). I am wondering about a couple things: since my eyes are not what they used to be, I found that I am more comfortable working on 28 count fabric. Will this project look as good on a lower count fabric? Also, I am not crazy about specialty stitches - I prefer mostly cross stitch but I am ok with taking on some other simpler stitches. Do you think this project can be done in mostly cross stitch and some simpler stitches? Thanks for any advice.