Thursday, November 4, 2010

Introducing Miss Ann Grant

Here she is ... Ann Grant's lovely sampler from 1829. This sweet girl was just ten when she stitched this massive piece. It's about 21 inches by 22 inches and stitched in wools on a 28 count linen. You can click on the picture to see it a little larger. Here is what the verse says:

In the soft season of thy youth
In natures smiling bloom
Ere age arrive and trembling wait
Its summons to the tomb

Remember your creator God
For him your powers employ
Make him your fear your love your hope
Your confidence and joy

Ann Grant worked this sampler in the
10th year of her age 1829

It's always fun for me to reproduce a sampler on the computer, because I can really see the piece come to life. Areas that are faded suddenly stand out. Patches that are worn or missing show back up in the graph, and it's such a joy to see how the original looked when it was new.

I bought this sampler from madelena.com -- I've purchased a number of samplers from this United Kingdom supplier. I hadn't really been looking for a new/old sampler to buy, but found this sampler one morning on their site and immediately claimed it. There are a few things that drew me to this sampler.

First, the colors are lovely. Any time there is red in a sampler, I am immediately interested. There's something about the color red that just makes art look alive. And red when combined with pinks and putty-beiges just knocks me out.

The house is fabulous -- I love that it's 3-dimensional (you can see the front and the right side.) Four chimneys. A 3-dimensional lawn, too, which is slightly unusual (the fence wraps around the left, you see.) My husband said he really likes the tree, which is big and over-flowing with flowers, leaves and birds. There are butterflies, birds, a dog, a fancy peacock, a few moths, a parrot, a rabbit, and a TINY man to the left of the tree.

There's also something about those three dividing bands around the verse I really enjoy. It's unusual ... striped berries and some leafy stars. They'd make great designs for banding around a basket.

Since I have the border finished, I can also tell you that this piece was stitched on a slightly unevenweave fabric. The sampler is almost square, but the piece, when stitched on evenweave linen, will be taller and thinner than the original.

I wanted to share a picture, because I know you guys enjoy seeing what's next on the agenda. The plan is for this one to be released in time for Nashville Market in February. I hope you enjoyed this sneak peek!

22 comments:

robindefender said...

Wow, that is one pretty sampler! Can't wait to see it all 'fresh' and newly stitched.

Nancy said...

Cannot wait to stitch this sampler...it is lovely!

Janet - underthewillow said...

it's GORGEOUS!!...what a treasure!

Janet

Anonymous said...

Oh my! What a gorgeous sampler! I love everything about this sampler and will look forward to its release in February. kelley from kentucky

Ellen said...

What a wonderful sampler! Looking forward to seeing your reproduction.

Kathy said...

That is just gorgeous!

TeresaB said...

I can see why it caught your attention! I love red so I understand the draw of red on a sampler.

Giovanna said...

It's indeed a stunning sampler! Can't blame you for jumping on it, and we all get to benefit from that if you chart it :-) Look forward to the release.

Robin said...

I have to agree with you about the color red drawing my attention. I know Miss Ann will be on my wish list come February. :) Beautiful sampler!

Tedra said...

Oh, this one will be fabulous Theresa, I can't wait to see it reproduced!
Tedra, Phoenix, AZ

Jacqueline Korteland Boller said...

Oh, I just love this piece and can certainly see how you fell in love with it...so pretty!

Katrina said...

Love it, can't wait for the reproduction :-).

The Scarlett House said...

Oh my, I thought Sarah Woodham would be my all-time favorite, and now this! Hurry, hurry, hurry and get this lovely reproduced!

stitchenmylifeaway said...

I can see why you were drawn to Ann Grant. It is truly an outstanding sampler.
This one is already calling my name.
Will you use wool, silk or over-dyes?
AND can we have a few sneek peeks?
Shay

Sharon Crescent said...

Theresa, there has never been another sampler that has spoken to me as much as Ann Grant. Every stitching project will come to a halt when I have this in my hands. Beautiful, I know you'll do a stunning job reproducing it. Ok, gushing over. LOL Sharon

Unknown said...

Oh, she is just beautiful! I can't wait to stitch her myself.

Anonymous said...

I want, I want! I need, I need! I love it so much! I am with you in the red and beiges, but she even tossed in some lovely shocks of blue...to die for! I can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

Anonymous said...

I am in love!!! Oh my gosh I can't wait!!!

Wanda

Dona said...

It's beautiful!

Melissa said...

It's fabulous, Theresa! So glad you are reproducing this. I do love reds myself! This is definitely something to look forward to in the gloom of winter!

Linen Stitcher said...

What a lovely, lovely sampler! The colors are fabulous, as are the various motifs! Simply lovely!

Sherry :o) said...

Beautiful - maybe I will save my unevenweave I just received not too long ago for her! Can't wait!