Monday, August 26, 2013

Chart to Benefit Southern Pines Animal Shelter: St. Stephen's Day




St. Stephen's Day has been celebrated in Ireland for hundreds of years and is one of the country's nine official holidays.  To this day, on December 26, merrymakers dress in old clothes and straw hats and go door-to-door with fake wrens to dance and make music.  These revelers are sometimes called "Mummers," which is how I got the inspiration for Mary's last name.

There is a wonderful song to celebrate St. Stephen's Day, and you can see an older recording of it  by The Clancy Brothers here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX7icoFY0U0.

I am making this graph available to you and am asking you to make a donation of any size to Southern Pines Animal Shelter by using your Paypal account.  Go to Paypal and send your donation to vrachal@comcast.net (Valerie is our grant writer and fund raiser extraordinaire!)  If you do not have a Paypal account, you can send a donation check directly to the shelter at 1901 N. 31st. Ave., Hattiesburg, MS 39401 (as always, I don't recommend you send cash in the mail.)  I am not requiring any particular donation, but can tell you that just $10 will feed two animals for a month.  Five dollars will buy us ten (very needed) rolls of paper towels for keeping things clean. If you're feeling extra generous, $30 pays for neuter surgery for one male cat or kitten.  Even just $2 will help us protect an animal from rabies with a vaccination.

To access this graph, you can click on the graphic below (the chart), and drag and drop it on your desktop. Then you can print it out for use; I have saved it for you 600 DPI as a jpg file.  The quality of the copy you print will depend on the capability of your printer.  If you don't have much luck printing this off, try asking a friend with a different printer to print it for you.

If THAT doesn't work, you can send me a SASE to Theresa Venette, 10 Plainview Crossing, Hattiesburg, MS 39402.

For fabric, I would choose something hand-dyed and old-looking.  I might suggest Vintage Exemplar by Lakeside Linens or Espresso by R&R Reproductions.  The key appears below the graph.



Symbol/DMC floss (over-dyed alternatives)
■ 3371 (Sampler Threads Cherry Bark)
= 831 (Sampler Threads Endive)
X 829 (Sampler Threads Heirloom Gold)
. 613 (Weeks Dye Works Light Khaki)
3 3826 (Sampler Threads Gingersnap)
w 3859 (Sampler Threads Raspberry Frost)
+ 3857 (Weeks Dye Works Rust
↑ 3031 (Sampler Threads Pecan Pie)
/// 3781 (Sampler Threads Maple Syrup)

A little bit about what we do at the shelter: Southern Pines was established in 1952 and last year accepted 5,000 unwanted, neglected, abused and lost dogs and cats from a 15-county area.  We are a non-profit organization that strives to reunite lost pets with their owners, educates the public about the importance of responsible pet ownership, adopts out thousands of animals a year, sends other animals on transports and to breed-specific rescue groups, assists with hoarding, neglect and abuse cases, offers pet food to those in need, and much, much more.  We operate a low-cost spay and neuter clinic that has done over 20,000 surgeries in the 3 1/2 years it has been open.  We also have opened a Thrift Store and Adoption Center to assist us in our mission.

Thank you for your help.  I hope you enjoy this design!

13 comments:

Susan said...

What a fabulous idea and an even cuter graph! I have never heard of St. Stephen's Day. I hope you make lots of money for the shelter with this graph. You are a modern day St. Francis, I swear! Oh, and what is a furze, BTW?

tarheelchris said...

Thanks so much for this graph, but more importantly, for your dedication to the abandoned and needy animals at Southern Pines Animal Shelter.

Chris said...

This is wonderful Theresa! I have sent over a donation.
I hope that the job is going great!

nitebyrd said...

Thank you for the beautiful chart! A donation has been made!

Isobel -Argante- said...

A donation has been made! I'll share on my blog now :)))

Kathy and Bobber-Wobbers said...

Beautiful chart and one of my favorite holiday songs!! Thanks & best of luck in your new adventure.

Anonymous said...

This lady is a seller on Ebay who does not follow through with her auctions.

BEWARE!!!!!!

C Reeder PhxAz said...

Theresa

Please read your email and answer. It has now been 30 full days since I purchased and paid you for an item I still do not have.
Charlene

Angie said...

Your new job sounds like a good fit for you. I hope that you still find time to update once in a while.
Good luck!

Merry Wind Farm said...

Hi, Theresa,
I see that your ebay store no longer has any items. Where is your stuff available for purchase now?
Melinda

crosstitchfairy said...

I just make a donation by Paypal Thank you very much for this beautiful chart and for the idea of Donation for Animals That's so generous !
Thanks a lot
from France

Patti-Rocky Mtn Stitcher said...

Thank you for this one! Also i am having a hard time sortimg my Jenny Bean Halloween threads. any tips?

Anonymous said...

Theresa, I have been trying to get in touch with you since July. One letter was returned and you just do not answer me. You promised to send me a cross stitch. What did you do with my check for 18.29? Please have the courtesy to at least answer me and let me know if you are cashing my check and are sending me my item or not. It is ok if you changed your mind, just have the courtesy to let me know. you can get in touch with me thru my email. Isabel Bush at iwillie12@aol.com.