Thursday, March 15, 2012

Some bits and pieces before stitching...

I have been working my hiney off, because it's just that time of year. Everything is going well, but you should see my desk at work. I'm practically going to need a shovel to get through the avalanche of orders and paperwork.

Here's what my week has looked like. Wish I had more pictures to share, but this is going to have to do...

Monday was my 42nd birthday. I had a great day with Steve, Harrison and Graham, which included lunch at Tabella (chicken parmesan and chocolate mousse/brownie/home-made whipped cream for dessert), a little shopping at the kitchen supply and book stores, opening gifts, answering the phone, and stitching on the Hannah Pepper Sampler.

I went through my stash and picked out half a dozen or so that I liked at that moment, and had Steve pick. He chose this one (and one other.) I agreed with him on Miss Pepper's Sampler, because it has a nice verse about making the most of your time...living each day to the fullest and what-not. I am working with the silks I've got at home to make mine look as much like the original (to the left) as I can. It's gorgeous, and I'll soon post WIP pics. Fine Lines magazine, of course, is no longer around, but sometimes you can find these back issues on eBay (which is where I got mine.) It's a three-part sampler.

I also have been instrumental in finding homes for four cats already this week -- Joplin, Cleo, Bobby and Scraps. It's a long boring story, but I will tell you that I am really proud about Scraps in particular. He was in the temp. room, and was about to be put down, but I found a volunteer who was able to take Scraps and give him his antibiotics for a week and a half. I took him to PetSmart today, and WHILE I WAS STILL THERE, a young couple came in, and after looking at a few of the other cats, decided on Scraps. He is gentle and sweet, and as soon as I put Scraps down by their feet, Scraps butted his head on the nice man's foot, then rolled over on his back to show them his belly. They fell in love with him, and he's going to a very good home with one other cat they already have (Miss Kitty) and a designated cat ROOM to play in with lots of toys. I am so happy for Scraps, and very proud to have helped in some way to find a great life.


and...i bought a stupid ole sampler today. (Shrug...grin.) Yes, again. This was one I looked at earlier in the week, and then Diane at Little House told me to go look at it, because she thought it looked like me (something I'd like), and then a blog follower called to have me go look at it. So, I bought it. There! Are you all happy? It's actually quite lovely. I don't know much about it, but didn't pay very much for it. It was stitched by Maria White at age SEVEN in 1846. Besides the verse, which is lovely...well...here:

While my Redeemers near
My Shepherd and my guide
I bid farewell to anxious fear
My wants are all supply'd
To ever fragrant meads
Where rich abundance grows
His gracious hand indulgent leads
And guards my sweet repose

...I was struck by how small it is compared to how much is on there. It's only 13 inches wide. The linen has got to be very fine. Yes, there's some staining. And a few holes. And while it's a little matchy-matchy for me (I like things that are a little more lop-sided, generally), I do love the sentiment. And the colors are lovely. And it's got birds. And there must be about a hundred and fifty strawberries in that border. It's lovely. Not sure what I'll do with it or when, but add it to the flock. It's got good company.

And did I mention she was SEVEN? Good golly. I'm off to climb into sweatpants and stitch a while. Ahhhhh....

11 comments:

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Nice sampler buy and sampler pick to stitch. Good life to Scraps. CJ In OK ;-)

marly said...

Wonderful story about Scraps! I like the sampler, stains and all.

Elizabeth said...

Happy Birthday - you don't look a day over 30! I think it's great all the work you're doing for those sweet faces that need loving homes. I think I would really enjoy doing that except I have a grabby 2yo and feisty dogs! And I adore the new sampler you picked up - can't wait to see if it becomes a part of your reproductions!

Jeannine520 said...

Happy Birthday Theresa. Yeah for Scraps!!! Thank you for helping him and all the cats you help - you're an angel in my book. :-)

Bine said...

the new sampler is gorgeous!!! Can't wait till you have it charted...
Would you mind letting me know which issues of the fine lines the Miss Pepper's sampler is in? Either by email: bine0772@gmail.com or as comment on my blog: bine2005.blogspot.com (I know, my blog desperately needs my attention...)or on your blog :)

Lanie said...

I LOVE MARIA WHITE!!! (And, yes, I shouted a little!) I tend to like samplers that are symmetric, so she's my kinda gal! Very lovely!

Rita said...

Congrulations on your new aquisition.

I think one of the (many)things that draws me to samplers is thinking of those little girls way back when doing this wonderful work. I often imagine them wishing they could be outside playing with their brothers. :-)

dixiesamplar said...

Love that new sampler; but, I am even happier to hear the news about the kitties...and a very Happy Birthday to you my dear :o)

woolwoman said...

Happy Belated B-day Theresa - they seem to come around pretty often once you get over 40 LOL - the new antique is a nice one. Enjoy your weekend - Melody

Diane Williams said...

Well I'm glad you listened! It does look like you. :)

Theresa said...

Both your new (to stitch) & antique samplers are beautiful - nice to have friends thinking of you. It's wonderful Scraps has a loving home - you are so generous in the aid of homeless kittys. I'm not familiar with Fine Lines magazine - I'll have to do some research. Have a good weekend filled with lots of stitching.