Friday, March 9, 2012

Ragamuffin #2: A Quaker Sampler

The very first sampler I reproduced was Ann Harrison's Sampler from 1830. It was also the first sampler I purchased...and I paid WAY too much for it for the condition it was in. The original is in wool...I'll have to photograph the original to show you how bad it was, but here is what the reproduction looks like:

I was really pleased with how it came out -- true to the original and fun to stitch. The animals at the bottom are a hoot, and I love that windmill. I called it Ragamuffin #1: Ann Harrison 1830, because it really is in a ragamuffin-state....kind of a dusty little orphan in ragged clothes.

I got better at shopping for samplers, and as my reproductions became popular, I was able to spend a little more money on the originals, shopping at antiques dealers in addition to finding my bargains on eBay. Since that first purchase, I hadn't really purchased what I considered to be Ragamuffin #2, until now.

This is my next little orphan. I believe her to be an American Quaker sampler, and there is a date of 1811 stitched on it, but only a partial name. The alphabets are what make this a ragamuffin. Due to dyeing techniques, black thread often fell away, and boy, did that happen with this sampler. A designer told me this week that among other things, a black dye job included ingredients like iron (which rusts) and horse urine (which is...well...horse urine.)

Lucky for me, I practically stole this sampler for just $130.00 on eBay, and even though ANOTHER designer friend of mine thinks I'm a crazy girl, I'm going to piece this baby back together by adding Quaker style alphabets at the top where they are missing, and by filling in the missing letters on the alphabets that are still there.

The rest of the sampler is in fantastic shape. It's actually all in silk and is stitched on approximately 28/34 count un-evenweave linen. This means, of course, that the reproduction is going to come out taller than the original. I love the springtime colors and that simple see-saw border with a berry at each peak is fabulous. What do you think?

13 comments:

Chris said...

I think Ragamuffin will be fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

What a great sampler! It will be awesome! Angela

Meriem said...

c'est ravissant

même abimés, ils ont le droit d'être aimés

Rindy said...

Love them all!!!

Sandye said...

All the flowers are wonderful! Are you going to do smalls with any of them?

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Oh, don't change that border it is lovely. Nice find. CJ in OK ;-)

Thomasina said...

I LOVE it. What a great find. And Ragamuffin #2 is a fabulous name.

Kiwiflowa said...

I like ragamuffin#1 the border is really pretty and colourful. I like the idea of finishing off ragamuffin #2 I'm not so keen to stitch an incomplete design. I already get questions from friends and family about stitching 'another sampler' all the time - an incomplete one they would never understand lol

Krista said...

What a beautiful find! It will be lovely, love the colors and border.

Diana said...

The bottom half of the sampler is really pretty! I look forward to the reproduction.

Judy said...

Wow, you have a great eye for these samplers! Look forward to seeing it done up. I love that border, it is really "light".
Love the colors and the different flowers.
Judy in Kansas

P.J. said...

Can't wait to see your creativity at work, once again. Love the idea of preserving the past and influencing the future of cross stitching with the designs from these ladies creativity. Wonder what they would think about their works having lasted this long and the impact it has had on stitchers in the year 2012. Too CoOL!

Tedra said...

This will be a wonderful sampler - I love the colors I see and I love quaker samplers anyway! can't wait to see it when it's done!