Friday, August 19, 2011

Miss Ann Womack arrived on my doorstep yesterday

Time is always moving on,
Time, we soon may say is gone,
Time, is fleeting, and we know,
Time, at last, will disappear.

Ann Womack. Aged 8 Years
1838

Here she is -- isn't she gorgeous? The fabric is about a 38/40 count uneven-weave linen. It appears she used two different colors of red that she had (one is very fine and smooth, the other is less fine and a little more coarse.)

What I really like about this (besides it all being in red) is that it is definitely a LESSON. The first alphabet is in cross stitch. The next is the lower-case alphabet in a pleasing elongated style. The next alphabet is four-sided stitch. The next is Algerian Eye (which I LOVE!). And the last alphabet is over-one.

I also find the verse very charming...because it doesn't rhyme. Ann did a fabulous job (especially for an eight-year-old.) This one will be a joy to reproduce and stitch. Don't you just love it?

21 comments:

Peggy Lee said...

It's just beautiful Theresa! I wish our schools today would put stitching in to their lesson plan. A lot can be learned with needle and thread.

Anonymous said...

This is an adorable sampler. I'll be waiting for this one to be reproduced. I'm so glad you were able to rescue it.
Lee Anna

Nicole said...

I love this sampler!! It's so pretty. Love the red!!

Cindy said...

Love the sampler. It is wonderful that there are folks like you who are working to preserve this part of history through the reproduction of samplers that would be lost.

robindefender said...

Very pretty! And I love the verse on this one.

woolwoman said...

WOW - you've had a lot going on lately Theresa - two beautiful new repro's COOL ! Love Ann - so neat
Enjoy your weekend and PS - I love my funky bird canvas - Melody

Laurie in Iowa said...

Love the verse and love all red samplers.

SharoninStitches said...

Needle threaded and waiting! Thanks for giving her a good home!

Diane Williams said...

You know I love it!

Diana said...

Love the new sampler! Can't wait to have you reproduce it.
Congratulations on your good game of bowling, too.

Wakana said...

i love it too - especially the fact that it was stitched by a little girl... fun to imagine what she looked like, what was on her mind when she stitched that verse... thank you for sharing your new old sampler, Theresa!

Ruth said...

Yes, I do love it. It is thoroughly charming. Congrats on having it and many thanks for sharing it with us!

Penny said...

I love red samplers! This one is beautiful-I can't wait.

the striped rose said...

It's lovely! She was 8 years old???? WOW!

Meriem said...

Magnifique modèle, si délicat

Lynn said...

I find it amazing that an 8 yr old could produce such a beautiful work of art! It's gorgeous!!

P.J. said...

Can't wait to see the repo. I really like the phrase and the red stitches.

dixiesamplar said...

Gorgeous Theresa...love the reds and all the various alphabets! Especially that over one and Algerian...and 40 count linen, yummy!!

Happy Stitchin'
Terri

moosecraft said...

Gorgeous sampler! Looking forward to seeing your reproduction of it!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

I'm always - always - amazed at the age of these girls. Love the red, of course, and the verse.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Ann may not have been a poet...but she definitely was wise beyond her years and her stitching is gorgeous! Can't wait - so get going ;o)